Responsible Service of Alcohol Northern Territory (RSA NT) is a course designed to ensure duty of care by each person involved in the liquor industry.   RSA NT certificate is required for each individual serving alcohol in the Northern Territory.   This certificate is mandatory for any serving, selling or supplying liquor as they have the responsibility to prevent their patrons from harming themselves, staff and other patrons.

Where can you do an RSA course?

You can do RSA NT course online or through face-to-face training from accredited training providers in Northern Territory.  Just make sure you do a little bit of research to find a training provider that suits you best considering your location and budget and make sure the training provider is accredited to provide training in the Northern Territory.

We did some of the legwork for you and tracked out a training provider who is accredited in Northern Territory and offers great training. Click here now to checkout the NT RSA Training Provider we recommend.

What is involved in an RSA course?

RSA NT course equips trainees with the knowledge and skills regarding their responsibilities working in the liquor industry, and to ensure that those who serve alcohol can monitor levels of intoxication by their patrons, as well as reduce the risk of harm and chronic health problems caused by the overconsumption of alcohol.  The aim of the RSA NT certificate is to teach the following:


  • Prepare and serve alcoholic drinks responsibly
  • How to deal with difficult and intoxicated patrons
  • Determine a standard drink
  • Provide patrons with information relating to safe alcohol limits and how the body deals with alcohol
  • Refuse to serve alcohol to certain patrons responsibly
  • Deal with difficult situations

Do you have to get an RSA course to work in NT?

If you want to work in the Northern Territory to serve, supply or sell liquor then you have to complete an RSA NT course. RSA NT certificate ensures that any staff working in a licensed venue serving alcohol have the skills and understand their responsibilities when it comes to the service of alcohol.

What will it cost to complete an RSA course?

The cost of an RSA NT course varies from one training provider to another, but it will generally range between $50-$80, depending on whether you complete online or face-to-face instruction. The most important thing to do is to check that the training provider you choose is accredited in the Northern Territory and find one that suits your budget and location.

Who has to complete and RSA course?

The following must have completed RSA NT course:

  • All staff involved in the sale, supply and service of alcohol  including
  • Bar staff
  • Floor staff
  • licensees
  • Supervisory staff
  • Managers

What if I am under 18?

Even if you are under 18, you can take RSA NT course since it does not require that you serve or consume alcohol to complete the certificate; however, you can only work in the liquor industry when you are over 18 years of age.

Leave a Reply