Getting A UK Pub Job

Posted by:

Getting A UK Pub Job

How to get a Job in a Pub in the UK

Have you ever wanted to live and work in the UK? It’s a vibrant, fascinating place to explore, rich in culture with a bustling social scene. The UK is also a great base from which to explore the rest of Europe – and of course, having a bit of spare cash for that always goes a long way. That’s why a UK live-in pub job is a popular option for those looking to live, work, and save money in the UK.

Who Should Apply for a Live-In Pub Job?

If you’re a shrinking violet who loves to go to bed early at night with book, this isn’t the job for you. Pub jobs are tough and demand that you stay on your feet for long hours at a time – often well into the small hours of the morning. If, however, you thrive on being busy and love people, you’re exactly what most UK pub managers are looking for.

Pub jobs are for people with good interpersonal skills. You should be energetic, friendly, and not afraid of putting in the required gruelling hours. Cheerful, personable bartenders walk away with the most tips, after all! Like any bar job at home, you need to be flexible and prepared to work on weekends and evenings. A good memory also helps, as this will help you stay on top of orders. Of course, you will be given all the on-the-job training you need to succeed as a pub worker – but a little prior experience always goes a long way.

How to Get the Ball Rolling

So you’ve decided that a UK pub job is the gig for you. Now, how to get there? The safest way to organise a pub job abroad is to go through an agency. This will ensure that when you arrive in the UK, you do so with guaranteed work and lodging. There are many agencies online that have successfully and reliably placed would-be Australian pub workers – for a fee. Most of these fees are around 600 dollars – a little expensive, for sure. However, this will take a lot of the hassle out of the job search. It will cover your live-in fees, as well as round-the-clock employment support. For popular placement agencies, look for the London Pub Company and STA Travel online. Application forms are downloadable from their official sites.


If your interview was successful – congrats! You have an exciting UK pub job to look forward to! Not so fast, however. You still need to prove that you can work legally in the UK – which means that the onus of organising a visa is on you.

You can apply for a visa through your nearest British High Commission. Go for a Tier 5 visa via a Youth Mobility Scheme – the best kind of visa for a working holiday. However, if you’re lucky enough to have a British passport on hand, you can bypass the paperwork and head on straight to the UK. If you’re an eligible candidate, an Ancestral Visa will allow you to work in the UK for a maximum of 5 years.

So far, RSA certificates are not required by pubs in the UK. However, this legislature is subject to change – so when you apply, be sure to check! Happy job hunting!